Thursday, September 11, 2008

Benefits of being silent

Our small group has been studying a book by Bob Sorge called, "Secrets of the Secret Place".  Tonight's lesson was about LISTENING.  As we spent about 10 minutes, just being quiet and listening to hear God speak to our spirits, I had a picture of 2 things.

First, since I have a little bit of a hearing deficit, eating out with a large group of people at a restaurant is challenging.  I can't hear the conversation very well.  It seems like many times everyone is talking at the same time.  If you are talking, you may even feel like no one is listening (which is probably actually true many times).  lol

Anyway, in this type of situation, if you catch the eye of someone & you know they are listening to the story YOU are telling, you focus right back at them.  You are attentive to them.

2nd.  I pictured the globe from the perspective of heaven (not that I can really do this, but I imagined what it might be like).  God was looking and listening to all the blah-blah-blah that was going on.  Then He saw me.  I was silent and listening for His voice.  Oh, He smiled at me and I had His full attention.  He was pleased and so was I.  

"Lord, teach me to listen always.  I want to hear no one more than YOU.  I want Your attention."

No comments: